Thursday, May 22, 2014

Skull Drawing

This was a very interesting project and i have never done anything like it before. Having the tracing paper over the skull really helped make getting correct proportions easier because the skull acted as a guidline. I enjoyed this project because it was fun and unlike the other projects in this class. This really helped me excell on the actual self portrait because i knew where things go on the face. 

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Gesture drawings

I have never done gesture drawings before so it was very fun to try it out. Its a cool concept of a simple fast drawing but still showing the pose the person was in. I do not like gesture drawings as much as actual drawings though because i prefer adding detail and trying to make things look realistic. This project made me open up to a new type of drawing so it was good for helping my artistic skills. 

Thursday, May 8, 2014

Self portrait

I was very proud of the outcome of this drawing. It looks almost exactly like me.
1.) Artists create original art- i thought i did a good job making this project my own by the facial expression. I spent a long time trying to get it right and it turned out great. I only used the tortillion on some parts of the face to get a smooth effect on some spots, and a more rough effect on areas such as the hair, eyebrows, and eyelashes.
2.) Artists develop art making skills- Although I stuck to using pencils with this drawing, I used different ways of shading than I usually do. For the face, I spent a long time trying to shade it by shading in circles rather than lines to get a more realistic effect on the drawing. I used the tortillion to make the face look more smooth. I shaded lightly and in layers to show the value changes and to make it look 3D. The hair was challenging for me because I had to do each separate hair in its own stroke rather than shading and not lifting my pencil like i'm used to.
3.)Artists solve problems- There were a few times during this project where i faced problems on my drawing. Most of the challenges were adding too much value. At the beginning, I had trouble getting the proportions right so I used a ruler and made sure I had them correct. Another problem I had was making the eyes look realistic. I spent a whole day on the eyes to make them look right and although it was challenging and time consuming, I still managed to make them look alright. The final problem I had was the hair. It took so long to do each separate stroke to create each strand of hair. Overall, I think I did a great job solving the problems I faced during this project.